I love blogging. I enjoy writing about the places and sights and images that move me, and I especially enjoy hearing about whether these things move you too. But sometimes I have to get on the train, go to work and do the heavy lifting first.
Not literally. This is Southern California. Trains are a little more … quaint … here than on Long Island, where I grew up.
But the memory of being on a Long Island Rail Road commuter train surfaces when I’m working flat out, as I have been since the beginning of the year: the doors close, the train accelerates, then you enter the tunnel with a whomp of displaced air, and there are no distractions of scenery outside the windows, there is only the rhythm of the getting there, the distilled concentration of the job at hand. And so far this year, there have been a lot of jobs to do!
I started this year doing a complete remodel of the e-commerce portion of my website to create a more responsive and aesthetically pleasing shopping experience. There’s a saying in all things software: “The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time.” And so it was! It’s easy to get seduced by a pretty face when it comes to websites. Your first inclination is to add every possible bell, whistle and widget to your site. And then you get real, and simplify, and make sure that everything works, everywhere, on every device known to mankind. I found myself spending every waking moment on it, and then waking up in the middle of the night with yet another idea, before finally offering it publicly. A big thank you to everyone who “beta-tested” for me and found all the typos and broken links.
And then I changed trains and shot 35,000 photos at 5 shows (more about them in my next post).
And edited, cropped, color balanced and posted them.
And researched, tested and added new products.
And continued to fine-tune the website.
And then the trained broke out of the tunnel, arrived at a station and the doors opened, I surfaced on the platform and discovered that it’s April! I now get to change trains yet again, and begin a joyful month that includes more painting and photographing (you know, the actual creating of artwork!) and perhaps a little less time channeling my Inner Geek.